somewhat OT- Acquiring Education -- was Re: who pays?

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 09:38:53 MDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 10:22 PM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

>> But you acquired education finding that out, which can be applied to
> probably nothing else - ever. You might have guessed wrong on this one
> (maybe), but the next may pay off big time in unexpected ways.
>
> Been there, am there, and will be there again tomorrow for as long as I'm
> able.
>
> It's better to know something you don't need than to need something you
> don't know.
> Ron N

I think you and my dad would have gotten along pretty well.  I got that same
kind of advice from him a number of times.  He was always encouraging me to
look through catalogs, saying, "You will learn something by looking.  Even
if you don't need it right now, you'll get an education as to what's
available."

I used to roll my eyes at that when I was younger and vastly more learned
that I am now. <G>  But the wisdom of it is more obvious in my now
soon-to-be-approaching middle age.

My dad was always learning.  He slept about five hours a night.  He was
constantly reading books after his work was done. From fiction to diesel
technology, from Bach to the Bible, from pianos to pipe organs, etc. -- a
wide range of interest.  He had a brilliant mind. He thought his original
college major of chemistry was much too boring ... so he changed to music.
 I remember asking him questions when I was taking college chemistry -- 20
years after he had done chemistry.  He was still able to help.

I guess that's the difference when you really LEARN something.  You never
forget it.

--
JF