who pays?

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 20:34:33 MDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Willem Blees <wimblees at aol.com> wrote:

> I ordered a part for an upright piano from a well known major manufacturer.
> When I ordered it, I included the model and serial number. But the
> manufacturer sent the wrong part, and the right part is no longer in
> production. I am able to send the part back, and get credit for it, but I
> will not get reimbursed for the shipping costs. Since I live in
> Hawaii, that came to over $40.
>
> Who should pay the shipping cost? The manufacturer, for sending the wrong
> part?  (like that's going to happen)  Do I have to eat it?  (it wasn't my
> fault the manufacturer sent me the wrong part).  Or the customer? (It wasn't
> her fault, either).

The manufacturer should pay the shipping costs.  But as you said, "like
that's going to happen."

Certainly not the customer.  (You wouldn't pay it if you were the customer.)

So it's probably going to end up being you.  Which is why we have to charge
sufficiently high rates to cover junk like this when it happens.  Thankfully
it doesn't happen all that often.  And while $40 is $40, it's hardly worth a
bunch of time to attempt to recover it.  (Unless you desperately need the
$40 more than the time it takes to recover it.)  And unless the part is
significantly more expensive than your return shipping, I'd keep it rather
than lose twice.

(I should mind my own words better. I spent way too much time today looking
online for a cheaper water filter for my fridge.  If I'd just ordered from
the first place I found, I would have come out ahead.  Being half-Dutch,
pinching pennies is somewhat ingrained. <G>)

--
JF