Clicking Damper Head

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Tue Jul 22 18:20:51 MDT 2008

Matthew

There are two problems at work here. First is the damper guide rail bushing, which is causing the damper head, (two words), to move from side to side. The other problem is the alignment of the damper wire. The wire is not going straight up and down in the guide rail busing. You can check this by slowly moving the damper up and down with a finger on the damper lever.

For the guide rail bushing, remove the damper, remove the guide rail bushing and replace it with new felt. Glue size the?hole with a bridge pin. (let it sit for about an hour).
For the wire alignment, you'll need to make the necessary bends in the wire, both between the damper flange and the guide rail, and at the damper head. You want to have?the damper wire move straight up and down and the felts to seat even on the strings.?This will take some practice to get right.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI
808-349-2943