Tuning Help

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Jul 22 10:02:17 MDT 2008

Matthew,

How do you count your 7bps.  I've always used "from Chicago to New York"
rather than trying to count 1 to 7 in a second.  Before  even playing the
interval, tap out a solid 1 per second beat with your foot, and then chant
the above quote for a few moments and then change it to a kind of wa-wa-wa
in the 7 bps mode.Then set your F/A third.  For the middle interval,  you
might first get the F-3/D-4 (6th) interval to 8 bps. then the A/C#
interval at 9 bps. Then do your F-F octave and check for the smooth
transitions from the F-A; F/D; A/C#; and C#/F.  They should be
respectively 7-8-9-11, but the 7-9-11 may still be easier to hear.
Otherwise it sounds like your doing everything right, just need more
practice.  A Sherman-Clay grand is really a rather difficult piano to
tune, especially if it's really short.

Don't give up!

Paul

paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
07/22/2008 09:32 AM
Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

pianotech at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: Tuning Help

Don:

I agree that the exam list serve would be an excellent place for this
question, but I think that this is also an excellent place for this
question. I'm quite interested in what folks might have to say to Matthew
to help him figure out his dilemma. It's as worthwhile a technical topic
as any.

And Matthew, perhaps if you can get a grasp of beat speeds from
approximately 7 for F3-A, 9 for A-C#, and 11 for C#-F4, this would help.
Balancing them is the trick.

Paul