Tuning Help

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Tue Jul 22 07:56:50 MDT 2008

Hi everyone,

  I was beginning to get frustrated while practicing so I thought I'd better quit for a while and get some input.  The piano I am practicing on is very difficult to tune.  It is a Sherman Clay grand, and it is scaled poorly and very difficult (for me) to judge the beats.  It is challenging and I do not want to give up on it.

  I began with tuning A49 to my fork (which I don't think is calibrated anyway).  Then I did my F21/A49 test to match the beat rate with the fork.  I moved the position of F21 a little so I could compare the beats better.

  Then I did my A49/A37 octave, followed by the 3rd-10th test.  Before, I would always get my 10th to beat slightly faster than the 3rd.  Now I try and match the beat speeds between the two, as I had several say you get a better tuning.

  Next, I tuned the F33/A37 3rd, followed by F33/F45 octave.  Up to this point, everything I just did sounds acceptable.

  Now, what I have been trying to do after the above step, was to tune the A37/C#41 3rd.  And then for my test I would play in order F-A, A-C#, C#-F and F-A with a smooth progression of beats.

  My problem is that I have been having a hard time to tune the C#41 inbetween all of that so it gets a smooth progression.  F-A and A-C# have a good progression, but when I play C#-F, the beat progression gets way too fast.

  I realize I may need to go back a few steps to really check what I did previously, but your guidance will be very valuable right now.

  Thank you,
  Matthew