Getting to know your clients

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Mon Jul 21 22:37:06 MDT 2008

List,
For the last several years I have started doing something new, this is probably SOP for many of you.
I ask my client to play for me, or the child taking lessons, anyone really in the house that seems to use the piano. Man, you will learn a lot and be suprised more often than you would think. You'll get great insite into what specifically the client needs, often something other than you might have guessed or sold them, they will realize this and a relationship is formed with much better odds of you being able to sell the client exactly what they want and need in the way of piano service. I've sometimes realized right away that the customer has the wrong piano, and told them that.
Take a few minutes to have a seat after ( or before and after ) the service call, take a break and enjoy the sound of a piano being played. Not appropriate for all clients, but most seem to really appreciate it. Maybe I'm just getting old and lazy.
Fenton