Using sandpaper on tuning pins.

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 19:29:59 MDT 2008

There was a time when I might have agreed with your characterization
of sandpaper shims. But not now.

I was a late adopter of CA in pinblocks. I had seen terrible results
using epoxy to tighten pins, and I wrongly assumed the worst about CA.

All this to say I used sandpaper shims for a good long time. Every one
I put in, I did so with the assumption that it was a stop-gap measure.

You know what? Those sandpaper shims I put in during the early 1990's
mostly on ancient Steinway A's and O's are all holding nicely. In
fact, they tune so nicely that they blend right in and I can't tell
which pins have shims and which don't.

After 15 years, I wouldn't call them short-term.

Kent