Rebushing (was Re: Transporting a Grand Action)

AlliedPianoCraft AlliedPianoCraft at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 20 05:50:03 MDT 2008

Well put William. 100% dead on.

Al Guecia

From: William R. Monroe
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 9:35 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Re: Rebushing (was Re: Transporting a Grand Action)

I would disagree Matthew.   I don't think it is the same difference.  If a mentor just takes it off the top, that is one thing, assuming you don't charge more because of that.  I know the principle gets muddied as we all have our own rates, but, assuming a constant for the purpose of example:

If it costs $X dollars for new keytops if Tech A does it, why should it cost $X plus $Y for Tech B to do it because they need help?  If you need assistance, it should come out of your pocket, not your clients.  In essence, this situation is one in which Tech B is not qualified to do the work.  If you put it all on the table, no client will opt to pay more $$ for an unqualified tech than less $$ for one who is qualified.  Do you see my point?

As far as tools go, I wouldn't agree with charging a client for a tool that you then keep for your career.  If you don't have the tool, get it, and enjoy it the rest of your career.  If you need a supply that is used up in the job, fine, charge the client.  But if you charge them for the tool, I'd say the client then owns the tool.

William R. Monroe

  Well actually, a lot of mentors just take a percentage of the cost of the whole job, so there wouldn't be any out-of-pocket expenses for myself if this was agreed upon.

  But there are techs who need a tool for the job, they do include the cost someway in their quote.  So hiring a mentor would be the same difference in this situation.

  Matthew