Chickering Quarter Grand Pinblock

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Jul 19 18:53:31 MDT 2008

> Also, I would like to replace the agraffes, but the original threaded
> studs are slightly smaller in diameter than the standard size available
> today. Has anyone re-bored and re-tapped the holes to accept a standard
> ¼” stud?  Or might it be better to remove and recondition the existing
> agraffes?

I did one of these a few years ago, vertical hitches, major
redesign, the full Monte. I tapped the plate to 1/4" for new
agraffes, no boring necessary. I got away with it on that one,
but I'd be more cautious if it comes up again. The problem is
at the top of the agraffe section, and how close the bore is
to the edge of the plate. If there's enough iron there to tap
out without blowing out the side of the hole, you should be
fine. If there's any doubt, reconditioning the old agraffes
might be a more advisable approach.

  > Progress thus far: the crowned soundboard is made and
fitted to the
> case; the bridges are underway; and it is now time to begin thinking
> seriously about the block.

Sorry, I don't have any cheap magic for fitting the block,
though muttering seems to help.
Ron N