question for aural tuners

joel a. jones jajones2 at wisc.edu
Sat Jul 19 07:37:15 MDT 2008

John & Allen,

A couple more bass tuning tips  that I believe need to be in our
repertoire:

1. Ghosting the lower bass by checking with the octaves, seventeenth,
double
octave, or any other interval of choice.

2. On grands it is possible to hit a node to check with the upper
octaves, fifths,
etc.   At UW we had an Imperial on stage and by using a plate strut I
could easily
find the octave node.  Long arms helped with this application.

3.  The final check I use is to play a chord in the middle of the piano
and then play
the root in the low bass.   This tells the story as to how each piano
is 'wired'.
This surprises me often but I can make micro adjustments to align for
the best
sound.

I think this is the most important area on each piano to conquer.
Working with the
Bosendorfer Imperial proved to me that these strings are adding to the
sound
with every note.  When the dampers are open the lowest bass is being
stimulated.
If the bass is  participating the response of the piano will be full
and resonant.  I
f the partials are not connecting it's close by no cigar.

Keep in Tune.

Joel
Joel Jones, R