question for aural tuners

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Sat Jul 19 07:12:18 MDT 2008

John:

While I am a TuneLab Pocket user I do tune the bass aurally.  I find
that wrapped strings are too unpredictable and don't always follow a
pattern.  On one octave the 6:3 will sound good and 8:4 is not that
prominent so you go 6:3.  The next note 6:3 are pretty quiet but 8:4 are
louder.  Generally I want as un-busy an octave as possible so
compromises are made on that score.  Listening musically - as you said -
is the way to go.  It also helps battery life on the ETD!

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu