[CAUT] Sostenuto wars and tone of discourse

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jul 18 14:26:04 MDT 2008

 > I'll grant you homes. In all other institutional settings
 > time constraints are a constant reality. I would rather not
 > spend the time getting past the sostenuto.

Which is the real reason for all this, because you'd rather
not spend the time.

 > Ah, Ron you should have been in politics - you are a master
 > of framing. There are a lot more time-pressure type venues
 > than just concerts. Ever try to keep a classroom or studio
 > piano at a university in anything resembling acceptable
 > condition? Access is always an issue and when you do get
 > access - you don't have a minute to spare. And the same
 > goes for various professional venues.

Yes, I have and do, though not as an employee. There are,
incidentally venues other than schools. I'd bet that there are
more pianos in churches than in educational institutions,
where time is obtainable by scheduling it. Some will even turn
on the air conditioning and stop vacuuming for you.

 >> Also, if the action mounted sostenutos are kept for the
 >> concert techs, why are they on the Ms, the Os, the Ls?
 >
 > See above.

See above.

 > And this is precisely why I berated you the way I did - you
 > insist on dismissing those whose opinion differs from yours
 > as engaging in some sort of Steinway induced "froth".
 > Steinways are problematic instruments in many ways - but
 > that sostenuto is not one of the problems, in my opinion.
 > Based on years of experience.

I'm talking information, you're talking personal vendetta,
nearly as I can tell. The change in subject line is a pretty
good indication of your position.

---------------------------

 > Precisely the point I was trying to make about your tirade
 > damning academically acquired knowledge as worthless. "The
 > fact is that anyone incapable of learning without being
 > taught is doomed to run their programming forever because
 > they'll never overcome their ! education - or rather
 > someone else's education that was installed in them." Just
 > as preposterous a statement as the one of mine that you
 > object to.

That was in response to the nonsense notion that people can't
learn without being taught, not a damning of academically
acquired knowledge, which you should know, having presumably
read the posts and my previous explanation(s).

Well, it doesn't seem to matter what I say, as none of my
points seem to have any meaning for you, so I'll give up short
of finding out what else you'll have me saying that's
convenient to you.

Have a nice day,
Ron N