question for aural tuners

Allen Wright akwright at btopenworld.com
Fri Jul 18 13:38:21 MDT 2008

Jon,

One of my favorite listening tests in the bass for consistency of
octave size on the way down is the beats that are created in the
octave at the 10-5 level, which  are quite noticeable (especially in
medium to small pianos). They get pretty slow on larger grands, but
still useable most of the way down - even if it's just to see what
side of the 10-5 you're on). The contiguous partials that you'll hear
beating are at the pitch of three octaves and a third up from the
bottom note of the octave; play that note softly first in order to
get the pitch fixed before you listen for it in the octave, if you're
unsure how to hear it.

You can combine that with the m3-M6 test inside the octave (once
you've found an octave size that you like by the sound of it in terms
of clarity and tone) in order to start a pattern of slight descending
beat speeds with the 10-5 test. I hope that makes sense. Anything
that helps you stick to some sort of pattern that will give you
consistent octave size on the way down.

Because that's what we're going for, isn't it? If one octave beats
at, say 2 bps at the 10-5 level, and then the next octave down is
more expanded so that it's beatless, then those two octaves sound
quite different (because all the other contiguous partials that have
any activity are all beating at different rates, so the quality of
sound of those two octaves is quite different).

It's all partly a matter of choice and taste, but at least we should
make the choice consistent. I find those two tests the most useful
for me in the bass section on most pianos I tune.

Good luck,

Allen Wright