question for aural tuners

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 18 07:55:01 MDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 3:09 AM, Willem Blees <wimblees at aol.com> wrote:

> Jon
>
> A lot has to do with the quality of the piano. For good quality grands, I
> use the checks you do, or the two octave and a 7th. On less quality grands
> and most vertical pianos, I mostly listen to octaves and double octaves.
>
> Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
> Piano Tuner/Technician
> Honolulu, HI
> 808-349-2943
> www.bleespiano.com
> Author of
> The Business of Piano Tuning
> available from Potter Press
> www.pianotuning.com

Hi Jon,
I have to agree with Willem that the quality will dictate which method works
best, I have also discovered since I began using them that earplugs (20db)
help cut down on some of the "garbage" allowing me to hear more easily what
I trained myself for over 35 years to find among that "garbage". I use the
maj 17th as a final check "walking" up the keyboard and listening for that
smooth progression of beat rates. When I find one that is faster or slower I
check it for tune and begin again.

Mike

--
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch
excellence.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404