Rebushing (was Re: Transporting a Grand Action)

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Fri Jul 18 10:20:05 MDT 2008

MessageI agree with what David says.  It is a one-way street (exceptions can be made if you care to resize the birds-eye).  But to go a step further, once you determine the appropriate size pin for the birds-eye then you know if you need to rebush.  Fit the birds-eye tight (you shouldn't be able to move it without a tool), then if the bushing is too loose, rebush.

Of course the next step is deciding if you want consistently sized birds-eyes.  I don't think I've ever repinned a set of S/F without altering pin size periodically.  I don't think that is a problem, but it just means you won't size all the bushings the same, if, for example you were to do a "factory-style" rebushing, using one very long centerpin to size all the bushings the same.  If you did that, I might consider reaming the birds-eyes to a consistent size to start with as well.  It would save some time later, not having to do excessive reaming of the bushings.

My two denari,
William R. Monroe

  I've never rebushed a whole set.  I've rebushed individual shanks when the bushings came out but that's the only reason.  My feeling is that if the whole set has been repined with as large a pin as I care to use it's time for new shanks.  You can't remove a 24 (0.058") pin, replace the bushing and go back down to a 20 because the flange would be far too loose.  Repinning is a one way street.. always larger.

  dave

  David M. Porritt, RPT

  dporritt at smu.edu

  When you repin, when do you decide to rebush the flange as well.  Unless, of course, you damage the bushing during repinning, how do you decide to rebush the entire set?

  Matthew