question for aural tuners

Jonathan Golding jgmdpiano at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 20:07:48 MDT 2008

When tuning the last octave of the piano's bass section I would like to know
people's opinions on how they get the best results. For me, I find this a
tricky area to get consistently good results. Some bass strings sound dead
whereas others are harsh sounding and some have lots of overtones. As well,
each piano seems to have a different amount of stretch to take into
consideration.  When tuning the last octave I usually check using the Maj
17th against the Maj 10th for approximate equal beating. When I play the
octaves together harmonically I find that this leaves the last octave
sounding too high to my ear. Any comments or suggestions? Any single partial
for this area which could be helpful?
Thanks, Jon