Securing a tuning appointment with first telephone enquiry

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Wed Jul 16 15:57:58 MDT 2008

Hi Lee:

Be friendly and relaxed, but businesslike.  Usually when I get this call,  I
ask them what town they are in before I give a price, since the distance
often will affect the fee (travel time).  When I give them a quote, I state
it simply and matter of factly, without any defensiveness or aggression.
The fee is what it is, and they are free to accept it or go elsewhere, I'm
fine with that either way.  (That's what is the unspoken in the silence
after I state my fee).

Give them a moment to respond if they wish to do so.  Then "ask for the
sale".  "I'm going to be over in Belmont next Tuesday morning and could be
at your house to tune your piano for you at around 10:30 AM.  Would you like
to schedule an appointment for that time?"  You would be surprised how many
people will then schedule.  Or if they say, "I have to check with my (wife,
bank, astrologer, or whatever)",  be pleasant and say "If I can be of
assistance to you, please call me.", and let it go at that.

Above all, be confident in yourself and your abilities.  Most people have
pretty good radar about this, and that can be an non-verbal cue that
prevents you from getting them to bite.

Good luck.

Will Truitt