OT - Windows Update

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Sun Jul 13 20:11:59 MDT 2008

On XP:
   Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services/Security Center
   Stop the service, then set it to "Disabled"
This will stop the red "shield"

I've had essentially zero issues with Windows Update. I'm not really a power
user, but by comparison to most people I know, I am. I think it's important
enough to continue to receive updates, so Windows Update is still set to
download updates and notify me. That way, I can install them at my own
convenience and reboot as required at my own convenience, not when M$
decides it wants to.

M$ is still very much supporting XP. They have finally cut off sales of
XP... I have no idea of all the ramifications of that, e.g. if stores still
have it in stock, can they still sell it?

OS updates are by no means unique to M$. Apple does it, and in fact they
have much more frequent charged ($$) upgrades than M$. Unix, Linux, IBM z/OS
all issue regular updates. I am not aware of an OS vendor (one who's still
in business) which does not issue OS updates.

It's also not all that terribly uncommon for OS patches to break third-party
software. Sometimes it's the third party vendor that has to issue an update,
sometimes it's the OS vendor. It's just how our much-too-fast-paced world
works, especially with really bright jerks that write viruses and malware,
like the one that tricked my 12-yr-old last week and took me about 8 hours
of #@&^%'g around to fix.

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN