Tuning any piano

Andrew Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 13 06:14:49 MDT 2008

Yes... but when they are brand-new out of the box for the first few
tunings there is a lot to grump about.  Barely moving a cent or so is
for fine tunings and you get there eventually but that is after the
foot of that torsionally willing pin finally gets close to where it
should be.  You can pull one of those Asian pianos to pitch by
twisting the pin only to have it relax and get terribly out of tune
while you are still there.  On a new piano I'll generally rub the
strings with a rag and check to see if the tuning held.  Alternately
actuate the damper pedal and quickly test every note (many at a time)
and you get immediate feedback on you pin-setting prowess.

I too utilize a Verituner and on a chinese <piano> I am glad to have
it.  Getting the pins set close to pitch in those tight pin-blocks can
be quite challenging.

Andrew Anderson