Tuning any piano

andre oorebeek oorebeek at planet.nl
Sun Jul 13 04:58:39 MDT 2008

On Jul 13, 2008, at 5:19 AM, Andrew Anderson wrote:

> Let me revisit that pounding part.  I realize I started out that way
> but have migrated towards pulling up to pitch and then relaxing the
> pin.  I do generally have to test more firmly on Asian pianos but
> have experienced the problem of pitch creeping up again and
> attributed it to pounding.  So, to a much lesser degree.
>
> Andrew

And then of course there 's the technique of hardly moving a tuning at
all.
That's the beauty of using a tuning device : you can see what you're
doing.
When I started using my tuning box (now a handsome pocket thing), I
was actually shocked by what I saw.
I have made it my policy to at least try not to move more than just 1,
2 or 3 cents.
It requires an incredible concentration of muscle control on the
square mm, so to speak, but it sure helps.
It becomes a kind of zen thing. With your mind you force the muscle
power in your whole body to concentrate on that tuning pin and you
will find out that it is possible to refine your tuning technique by
hardly moving the tuning pin, which then makes a tuning extremely
stable. That, combined with the right blow will do any trick, unless
the piano is just a sick piano.
Pounding alone is not enough.

If the general conditions are right, it is possible to really master
any instrument, but unfortunately, it always requires a lot of time
and experience.

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek