Hitch Pin Replacement Question

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Jul 12 22:06:46 MDT 2008

You can always just cold chisel them off and install vertical hitches which
usually helps the bass anyway.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com

Hello Everyone,

  I wish to upgrade the quality of my restorations by installing new hitch
pins (frankly strictly for cosmetic reasons). Perhaps some of you are doing
this already. More power to you.
  My first question of one of removal of the original pins. Getting the ones
out that serve the long bridge from the backside of the plate via a drift
punch and hammer seems straightforward enough. The problem arises on
Steinway (and other) plates, however, where the hitch pins for the bass
section do not protrude through the casting. These can not be driven out
from the back. How can they be easily/successfully removed?

  David G. Hughes, RPT
  Baltimore Chapter