String noises revisited

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 12 20:32:55 MDT 2008

Allen,
Not a lot of hope, short of redesigning the piano.
The longitudinal partial is being excited by the combined energies of the 7th and 8th partials.
If you can get the hammer to strike at exactly 1/7th or 1/8th of the string length, it may reduce the energy enough to stop the sound. This may be the reason for the old design rule to strike at 1/7th of the string length.
On smaller pianos the longitudinal mode may be at the 17th or 19th partials of plain wire strings.
Ed Sutton