Young Chang lyre supports buzzing

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 12 10:41:05 MDT 2008

Thank you for all of your suggestions on making this noise go away.  The supports are still in my shop, but will go back into the piano in a couple of weeks.  I will let you know what ended up working.

I will also check for loose glue joints.  I have repaired a number of these on Young Changs before.  The difficult part is getting all of the joints apart.  I like to do both joints in the pedal box and both joints at the top.  I have used fresh Titebond and new wedges (purchased at my local Do It Best hardware store).  It seems that one reason for some of the joint failure was that the wedges did not spread the wood out far enough.  Young Chang has used simple wedge shaped wedges on the several that I have reglued.  With the glue cleaned off, the joint would dry fit too easily, too loosely.  Since I don't do any poly repair work,  I always make a point of not damaging that finish.

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT
bdornfeld at earthlink.net
847-498-0379