turning a Grand upright

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Sat Jul 12 09:34:17 MDT 2008

I don't think the most likely hazard is a lyre collapse during the tilt;
it's causing the whole structure to be weaker later on during the piano's
life (by breaking glue joints, etc).  Most lyres I see more than a few years
old are looser than I'd like in some direction, and it's doubtful that the
same mover would see that same piano years later.  The cost/benefit is weak.
Isn't there a good chance of at least breaking a glue joint loose?

Many recent keybeds contain foam; I'm sure many of them aren't all that
massive.

The best information would be to ask piano manufacturers if they recommend
tilting on the lyre.

--Cy--
ABQ, NM