Tuning a Kawai Grand RX-2

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Jul 12 09:38:53 MDT 2008

> Beckets and coils are tight, but I have not stretched the strings.

Don't, it won't help, and will more likely introduce more noises.

>This
> piano is about 9 years old and I have tuned it about 8 times, so I think
> the stability it OK. The bass and tenor are as solid as a rock. Its just
> a few unisons that go out (and not the same ones) in the treble section,
> no matter how hard I pound to set it. It usually goes out within a week.
>
> Al Guecia

It's coming from the back scale. Pounding harder won't help if
the back scale tensions are already higher than the front. How
about the first and most obvious question - are the strings
going out going flat or sharp, or some of each? If any *ever*
go sharp, what earthly use would settling coils or stretching
strings be?

Then consider the unlikelihood of keeping a piano in recording
tune for weeks at a time without touching it up. How's the
climate control where the piano is? Does the temperature and
humidity vary - at all?

Ron N