hypermiling? (OT?)

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Fri Jul 11 05:37:20 MDT 2008

It's easy to be judgmental of people whose life is different from ours.
I'll admit I have an Excursion (no longer even made) with a V-10 engine
and it gets 11 - 12 MPG.  I bought it to pull our 4 ton camper.  My
other car is a 30-MPG Fusion.  The excursion is 8 years old and now has
38,000 miles on it so it has averaged < 400 miles per month including
all the trips we've taken in it.  Last year I filled it up with gas
once.  This next week I'll have to use it to take a Steinway  "D" lid to
the refinisher, and pick up the action.  It will then sit idle until the
next time I have to transport something large.  I will get dirty looks
from the supercilious set when it's out.

It really does pull that camper well though!

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu