Schiedmayer Grand Questions

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Fri Jul 11 00:37:40 MDT 2008

Thanks, John, for the helpful information.  I appreciate it.

On Jul 10, 2008, John Delacour wrote:

> FIrst question : WHICH Schiedmayer?

As I believe you figured out from the slotless bolts at the front
corners of the plate, it is a S. Pianofortefabrik.

>> Does it look as if the plank has been replaced by the previous
>> repairer?

I sure thought so, until I found out from you that there is apparently
an inaccessible captured nut attached to the bottom of the slotless
bolts.  If the plate was out for pinblock fitting, I'm not sure how
they would have reinstalled the bolts.  I thought that the pinblock
was a replacement because the fit is extremely poor to the plate
flange, and to the sides, and the block is not glued in, and the
pinblock screws protrude through the block oddly, and the bottoms of
many the holes in the block were blown out by what looks to be
careless drilling.  None of these seemed consistent with the otherwise
fine quality of the design and manufacture of the instrument.  Oh, and
the wood looks fairly new, and is 13-14 ply (one extra ply in the
raised bass section of the pinfield, matching the bottom of the
plate).  I guess I'll find out once the plate is out....

> Once you have the frame and the plank out, it should become quite
> clear how the piano was originally constructed, and I'd rebuild it
> as it was meant to be originally.

That's what I'll do, after cutting slots and backing out the bolts, or
machining off the heads, as you suggested.

> For the bass scale there is no problem; this can be brought within
> proper tolerances and will also sound better.  Send me the lengths
> of the plain wire and the bass so that I can do my own calculations.
> The problem of excessive tension is common to both factories, and to
> grands and uprights, at least at certain periods.

Very kind offer, John.  I will assemble that info and email it to you
off list this weekend.

Thanks again,

Joe DeFazio (another JD)