hypermiling? (OT?)

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Thu Jul 10 18:15:07 MDT 2008

I've been an advocate for better gas mileage cars for, well, forever since
my first car (1966 VW Beetle) which I bought when I was stationed in Germany
in the early 1970's. Shortly after my return the the US, we experienced the
Great Arab Oil Embargo. I bought another VW Beetle (1969 model). The most
inefficient car I've ever bought was a 1991 Volvo 940 wagon, but it still
got a respectable (considering its size) 24mpg.

Driving conservatively can save LOTS of mpg.  However, drafting on semi's,
coasting down hills (clutch disengaged) and such is dangerous and illegal in
most places. Just don't go screaming up to the stop sign, don't peel away
from it... if you're approaching a red light which has been red awhile, slow
down and hope for it to turn green before you get there. It amounts to less
acceleration, again saving mpg.

This is a generally good column in my local paper from a couple weeks ago.
I'm not sure how much longer it will be available for free... so if you miss
it, well, it was pretty interesting!

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN