String noises revisited

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jul 10 09:52:26 MDT 2008

I've had similar "luck" with new agraffes and can't see taking the time
involved to dress old agraffes or the risk of resinstalling agraffes with
weakened shanks due to the abandoned flat bottom design and the old method
of leveling with shims.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com

Paul,

I almost mentioned your reshaping/polishing process [published in the PTJ].
The last couple sets of agraffes we got from Pianotek had such a nice shape
inside that we put them in as they were. Maybe we were just lucky.

What kind of time does your process take? With agraffes at about a buck, it
seems like it would have to be a minute apiece or less to be break-even, IF
we can get good new ones; and the new ones would not have any risk of
crystallization.

Bob Davis