hammers separated from bottom of molding

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Wed Jul 9 22:23:26 MDT 2008

Brian

Here on Oahu we have this problem all the time. I had a Hamilton, where the felt had come off almost half the hammers. It was so bad that when I did the top, the bottom would come off.
I use super glue, and held the felt in place with a needle nose vice grips. Put the glue on the felt. Spray the kicker on the molding, and press the felt into place with the vice grips. It sets up in about a minute.

Because I had to do so many hammers, I had the action on my bench. But I've done a few here and there with the action still in the piano.

Good luck

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI