Shop made blocks.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jul 9 20:30:42 MDT 2008

>     How come you are putting filler in the mix?  The furniture guys that I
> first learned about the West system from always used it straight for greatest
> strength, so I have too.  I use the microlite and other fillers when I need a
> change of viscosity or density, but what am I missing about its use for a large,
> flat, glue joint?
> Wondering,

The filler is just to thicken it enough to keep it from
running out onto the floor. It's mostly for me, because it
feels more controllable. It may very well not be necessary,
but it puts the stuff into a viscosity range that I find
familiar and comforting, so I continue to do it this way.
Strength is, I think, not an issue since the joint is most
likely way beyond the minimal requirements whatever you add to
the epoxy. It is, after all, pinned with 230+ impediments to
sheer failure, which ought to count for something.
Ron N