Nature of tuning pins - the return of the tapered pin?

Kendall Ross Bean kenbean at pacbell.net
Wed Jul 9 18:43:04 MDT 2008

Ron Nossaman wrote~

>Yes, this is the fault of our parts suppliers, not the part
>manufacturer. Denros are, I expect, sold to the parts suppliers
>as 7.1mm pins, and the parts suppliers sell them to us as 2/0.
>If they were labeled what they actually are, it would be our problem
>to figure out what we actually want. Look at Roslau wire. Being
>metric, it doesn't correspond to the gage numbers it's sold as either.

Ron~

Aha, so this is what has been happening. When AMSCO went out of business,
there were no more real 2/0 (.282") pins!

-Our suppliers have been passing the Denros (metrics) off to us as if they
were standard U.S. sizes!

Actually, this seemed like the ideal explanation, until I went out and miked
2 of the most recent sets of blued pins I have gotten from Schaff (Denros).

Now I suspect it's just poor tolerances. Here are the results of my latest
micrometer readings: ( I checked several pins from each batch)-

Denro 2/0 x 2 3/8" blued: Tapers from .281 - .282" at the bottom of the
thread to .283 - .284" at the top of thread.

Denro 3/0 x 2 3/8" blued: Tapers from .284 - .285" at the bottom of the
thread to .287 - .288" at the top of thread.

Concentricity didn't seem to be much of a problem, pins seem concentric in
cross section within .0005" to .001"

But the tapering, from bottom to top of thread, seemed pretty uniform among
the pins. What are they doing, I wonder?

It seems they actually are shooting for the U.S. measurements, .282" and
.286". -If you average all the measurements on a single pin, it's pretty
close! But you have to admit, that's a pretty wide spectrum of micrometer
readings.

However, if you ever have to drive them in further, they should get tighter,
all along the thread!

Ron Nossaman wrote~

>It's easy. I make up a block by epoxying a 9mm Delignit cap
>on a low density multilam maple, double drilling 1/4" and 6.8mm.
>No bit cooling, no high precision setup, no problem. Very good
>uniformity and torque with 7.1mm Denros out of the box - no micing.

Ron~

I assume that means you drill the 1/4" (.250") hole to depth first for the
low density maple multilam, and then drill the 6.8mm (.268") just through
the Delignit cap? Where do you get the 9mm  (3/8") cap? Do you bandsaw it
off a block of Delignit, then run it through the planer? Why epoxy? Aren't
there adequate wood glues?

~Kendall Ross Bean

PianoFinders
www.pianofinders.com
e-mail: kenbean at pianofinders.com

Connecting Pianos and People

We concluded that it works better on paper than it does on wood."
    - A company that had just built a prototype of a new woodworking tool
from the inventor's plans.