Glued back action flange

David Chadwick chadwick61 at cox.net
Wed Jul 9 14:21:11 MDT 2008

Ron ,
Apparently when then tecknician was restringing the tenor and almost reached
the tenor/treble plate strut he noticed that he had run out of hitch pins
but still had tuning pin holes to fill. The owner was looking-on at the time
and saw it. The teck then loosened a large section of pins and just moved to
the corrected hitch and brought it up to tension with some pins having
anywhere form one wrap to four wraps. As far as the untidy coils, I would
think that a clean tight coil might help keep the becket from slipping. Kind
of like a barrel knot in a fishing line. I'll post as photo. Sorry about the
quality. The soundboard had separations from rib which he epoxy pushed in
and the gap remains. That's more or less in the cut off area so I wasn't too
concerned. The crown was positive but minimal. There is lots of glue squeeze
around the bridge pins from that operation. Looks like epoxy also. The
refinish was a Pianolac (sp) product. It is very cloudy with patches of
dense cloudiness all over. All of the new parts are Renner with Abel
Hammers. He added a second punching to the let off button to compensate for
the new whippen. I really have not had the time to look into the action
performance as my first appointment was to correct damper system errors. I
did squeeze all of the beckets and tune the piano. I have discussed the
possibility of starting from the beginning at the keys and systematically
correcting action anomalies but as it stands now I've instructed him to play
the heck out of it to see if the tuning I did will stay somewhat stable or
if the string becket and coil windings fail. I would rather address the
music wire situation before I work my way into the other areas.

David Chadwick
Las Vegas