Glued back action flange

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jul 9 11:35:07 MDT 2008

> Thanks Dale,
> I have told him that the tuning stability will never be acheived.

Why not? Sloppy coils, once settled, won't affect tuning
stability at all. Non functional cosmetics aside, if you can
squeeze the beckets in tight and tap the top of the coil down
snug, the rest is gravy.

>This guy want the Steinway he paid for but is
> very skeptical

If sloppy beckets and a lousy regulation is the worst of the
problems, he got very lucky indeed. I'd suggest looking closer
at the real stuff. Check soundboard crown against string
bearing, and look very closely at action geometry and hammer
bore distances. What you've mentioned is likely the tip of the
iceberg.
Ron N