Removing Strings [was Becket breaker? - Technique]

Kendall Ross Bean kenbean at pacbell.net
Wed Jul 9 15:48:50 MDT 2008

John~

Thanks for the tips, and the string removal procedure. Great pictures and
explanation, by the way. You seem to be a pro with the digital? camera.
Great detail. (You take the pictures yourself, or have a pro do it? Use a
tripod? And a timer, like I do? Turn off the flash? Use ambient lighting?
-Sorry, got carried away. I'm sort of a dilettante photographer hobbyist.
Tend to get excitable about these things.)

Yes, I wondered if there wasn't a way to slip the becket out and pop the
coil off the pin with one swell foop. You have shown us how. I'm going to
try that next time and see if it isn't faster than the becket breaker.

I think we all should have a wonderful awl like that and know how to use it
safely for popping out beckets and coils. I think the reason a lot of us
don't is that we would probably poke an eye out or hurt ourselves. We tend
to get excitable with tools over here. ;-)

A GOOD STOUT AWL TO LEVER OUT THE BECKET

I'm wondering if we all might not be safer with a good stout ale. ;-).

(You stated:

The tools required are shown below :
Cardboard to protect the frame and soundboard from scratching
Tuning hammer or lever to turn the wrestpin
----> A good stout awl to lever out the becket <----
Multiplying side-cutters and/or end-cutters
Stringing hook for lifting the strings if necessary)

~Kendall Ross Bean

PianoFinders
www.pianofinders.com
e-mail: kenbean at pianofinders.com