Removing Strings [was Becket breaker? - Technique]

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Jul 9 10:54:24 MDT 2008

At 00:06 +0100 8/7/08, John Delacour wrote:

>At 18:25 -0400 7/7/08, Al Guecia wrote:
>
>>The system I have used and I think someone has mentioned this on
>>the list, is to turn all the pins out one complete turn. I them use
>>a screwdriverÊwhich ground down a to narrow the tip to remove the
>>becket from the tuning pin. I then proceed to remove the tuning
>>pins with a drill. Once all the tuning pins are removed, I cut the
>>coils and remove the strings.

I have uploaded some pictures of the technique I use to the following site:

<http://pianomaker.co.uk/technical/string_removal/>

I've thought a little about all this "becket-breaking" business and
it makes no sense to me at all.

JD