Keyframe Bedding

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Tue Jul 8 15:27:24 MDT 2008

Hello Andre, List -
Hope you're well.  Sorry to likely miss you in
Vancouver in July.  I'd be glad to buy the DVD.
Note: With regard to recent discussion about
extraneous material, I left Andre's post intact,
for reference.  I apologize if it seems unnecessary.

There are a few reasons why I don't think the
tuning fork analogy  applicable to the concept of
stressing the frame.  For one, the objective in
the case of the tuning fork is exactly to
transfer energy to the solid surface, in order to
magnify its audibility.  In the case of the key
frame, the objective is to reflect, or minimize the energy transfer.

>The shock, and thus the transfer of energy, causes the other child to
>hop up a little into the air.

While the shock is certainly perceived, it is
inertia that makes the little critter fly up in the air.

Whatever the weight of the load, it would seem
that the ratio of energy transfer to energy reflection would be
determined by the mass and rigidity of the
supporting structure - keys, keyframe,
keybed.  While stressing a keyframe might be a
byproduct of assuring a positive interface with
the keybed, I don't see how the issues of
developing internal stresses, such as has been
discussed in relation to soundboards, can apply
here, since those stresses would impact upon the
way in which the board responds to the energy
transfer, whereas we don't want to see such transfer into the key frame.

>The key frame, supported in the middle by posts, the glide bolts,
>carries the weight and automatically transfers the energy onto the key
>bed, which is a part of the 'basic' construction of the 'basis' of the
>instrument.

The weight of the action is supported by the
front and back rails, and stabilized by the glide
bolt.  The bulk of the weight remains on the
front and back.  The better the construction, the
less energy transfers to the frame and bed.

>So, if the contact between the glide bolts and the key bed is so so...
>the transfer of energy is 'so so' as well.
>If however the contact is firm, so will the transfer of energy be,
>resulting in a louder tone.

I certainly agree that a faulty interface between
glide bolt and key bed will compromise the energy
transfer to the string, but I don't see how
putting additional pressure on a well-set glide will improve things.

Actually, I can see how stressing the newer, more
flexible frame would add to its own rigidity,
which, in turn would better reflect the
energy.  Even if accurately bedded by traditional
standards, the floppier construction probably
absorbs a considerable amount of energy.  I would
still be concerned about friction and compromised
back rail bedding, but, maybe you persons are correct.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY