Glued back action flange

David Chadwick chadwick61 at cox.net
Tue Jul 8 09:02:04 MDT 2008

Thanks for your replies. I explained to my client that eventually the dampers need to be removed so the back action can be taken out and proper repairs be done. He is currently spending a lot of money to have me fix many problems done by the rebuilder. One major problem is none of the beckets were seated into the becket hole and many have slipped out and are now breaking loose and almost zero tuning stability so the damper system has to wait for these other problems are resolved. Wim and Ed, I agree that the only way to approach this is complete component repair. Thanks for the advice on screwing them onto the rail as I wasn't sure if this update to the flange would be a problem for future service access. Albert, I like the sponge idea! I was trying to use a chunk of felt but it kept moving whenever I inserted the flange. If I used rail punchings there is no way I would be able to remove them once things are in place. Jon, I believe this piano was in your shop before it was sold and rebuilt, (Hyannis in Cape Cod...right?). email me privately if I'm right. chadwick61 at cox.net

Thanks for everyone's advice
David Chadwick
Las Vegas

  Unfortunately, the only way to properly reglue those flanges is to remove the back action. If more break loose, you might want to consider screwing them all in place.

  Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT

  You can glue this in place with a thin screw driver blade or other thin slat of wood
  by wedging it between the upstop rail and the flange and some sort of prop on
  the key bed.Regards,

  Jon Page

      You will eventually need to glue up a lot of these flanges, so you may as
  well do it right, ie, take the tray out and repair it. Anything else is just
  dragging out the misery. Modern glue will, for all practical reasons, make a
  permanent repair on these rails.  The tray is a very soft wood, so take care
  not to starve the joints.
          You main job will be educating the customer.  If they have a really
  bad rebuilding job, they will need to understand that the expense has not
  ended.
  Regards,
  Ed Foote RPT

  insert a piece of sponge cut a little
  thicker than the gap above the flange and wide enough to
  cover about four flanges.
  Albert Lord.

  Use paper front rail punchings to wedge the flange in place and pull out after the glue has set ( 15 minutes )
  Joe Goss RPT