Becket breaker? - Technique

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Jul 7 17:06:07 MDT 2008

At 18:25 -0400 7/7/08, Al Guecia wrote:

>The system I have used and I think someone has mentioned this on the
>list, is to turn all the pins out one complete turn. I them use a
>screwdriverÊwhich ground down a to narrow the tip to remove the
>becket from the tuning pin. I then proceed to remove the tuning pins
>with a drill. Once all the tuning pins are removed, I cut the coils
>and remove the strings.

The method I use is similar.  A whole turn is usually more than
enough -- I turn the pin something over 1/2 turn to bring the becket
to a suitable position to allow unobstructed extraction. Having
protected the soundboard, I then cut the strings in the speaking
length near the front bridge, lever out the becket with a stout awl
and hook the wire off the pins, which is usually possible with a
single motion of the awl.  There is no wire on the piano by the time
I begin to extract the pins.  The only reason I work on one section
at a time is that I quickly get bored of one process and like to vary
the work as much as possible.

JD