string "noises"

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Mon Jul 7 08:29:26 MDT 2008

Allen Wright writes:

Has anyone working on Hamburg Steinway B's (or similar instruments)
encountered shimmery high partial noises (quite noticeable) at the
level of 4 octaves up (perhaps at the major seventh pitch or
thereabouts), in the area around E3 in the plain wire tenors? Perhaps
half dozen notes stand out like this.

Allen,

You've probably checked this, but when I hear someone complain about
"jingling" or "whining" in this area, I think unlevel strings. Are these notes
consecutive, or random?

Bob Davis