Real Customizing of a piano

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Jul 6 17:09:01 MDT 2008

I think Del is right: it really starts with the scale.  The scale suggests
the weight of the soundboard (along with the rim, i.e., heavier rim means
you can make a lighter soundboard), the scale and soundboard suggest the
style and weight of the hammer, though you can clearly make a choice
(sometimes a bad one) as some companies, in my opinion, do.  Put them
together and therein lies the character of the piano. I don't think it's
anything magical or mysterious or something hidden in a small vile of fairy
dust unique to each manufacturer and sprinkled secretly onto the piano in
the middle of the night.  It might be fun to think it's magical and
mysterious, but it isn't.  Take a Steinway and two other makers of pianos
who basically have the same style rim--let's say heavy, bent hardwood and
bellyrail; whose plates allow the same bridge layout and scale; move that
Steinway soundboard to any of those other two and along with it the set of
hammers and I think you will be hard pressed (little hammer joke hidden
there) to tell any difference.  The devil is in the details, of course, and
the changes being made to these pianos that have prompted so much discussion
are, in my view, designed to accomplish three main things.  First, a more
predictable outcome by removing most of the dependence on the
unpredictability both in the short and long term of spruce panel
compression.  Second, a scale that creates a unified instrument from top to
bottom and a soundboard that responds adequately and smoothly to the
changing needs from low frequency to high frequency.  Third, a controlled
balance between power and sustain, two aspects which are somewhat at odds.
Everything else is really subsumed under those three headings, at least as I
see it.

Back to the original point about the scale.  Probably more can be done to
change the character of a piano by changing the scale than anything else.
Years ago I recall a string maker who offered to rescale pianos complete as
part of their service.  Their tendency was to simply push up the tensions by
a fair amount.  The results were often quite poor.  Why?  Imagine an old
Steinway soundboard, now a bit weaker than it was.  Load it up with a higher
tension scale.  That old somewhat tired board can't handle that.  It can
barely handle the original scale anymore.  The energy transfer from the
higher tension scale tends to overwhelm it.  It gets louder as the board
wants to move more easily when energy is imparted to it.  But it's also tied
down more--unequal springs.  The result: a real percussive and choked sound.
If anything, to maintain some equilibrium, the scale (or bearing) should
have been backed off a bit (of course, usually a collapsing crown
accomplishes that for you--less bearing that is).  Anyway, I am digressing.

The scale changes being made on many of these redesigns are not significant
in this way.  More, they are smoothed out and balanced, sometimes the bass
end tensions are lowered somewhat, and the relationship between core and
wrap dimensions are changed.  But the overall scale tensions remains roughly
the same.  All other changes are adopted in an attempt to unify and balance
that tone building tripartite of scale, soundboard and hammer.  It's a
beautiful and simple concept, and one which seems to have been forgotten.

But the most important thing:  3 under par on the back nine today, oh yeah!

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com