Regulation

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Jul 5 08:10:26 MDT 2008

We all have our little pet peeves that we like to address in regulating an
action. Depending on one's level of anal retentiveness one could spend days
in regulating an action. Fitting keys to keyframe, obsessing over bedding
the keyframe, checking every action center, polishing springs, pins and
capstans, etc. etc.

There comes, of course, a point of diminishing return. I like to give my
customer the most bang for their buck. Evaluate the piano, use your
experience to determine what areas need the most attention that will give
the most return, balance against the customer's needs and usage.

I don't do much concert work, most of my work is in homes on pianos that
don't get played a lot by players who don't appreciate a fine instrument
(otherwise they'd have something else in the house). So I focus on the
essentials: Make sure the keys work well, maybe polish capstans, look for
obvious excessive friction in centers, de-friction (Teflon knuckles, key
bushings & whippens, Protek centers), adjust hammer blow, let off, drop,
dip, rep spring, checking. I find I can make a pretty huge improvement on
most pianos with 3-5 hours worth of work. It used to take me 6-10 hours to
do the same thing so gauge yourself accordingly.

I always quote a pretty wide range for regulating work and then just charge
my hourly rate.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272