Becket breaker?

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Jul 5 05:29:41 MDT 2008

I use a 4" grinder with a cutting wheel on it. It will slice right through
the wires like hot butter. I cut just through the wires in front of the
tuning pin field. Each time you put the cutting wheel down you'll cut
through several wires at once. You can cut a whole section in 5 seconds, but
it may not be prudent to do it quite that fast. I'll cut a few notes, then
move to a different section and cut a few more, trying to bring the tension
down a little uniformly. It may not get the last 4 or 5 wires in section if
the strut is close.

If you do this in the bass section be prepared for the strings to go flying
and gouging into the back of the case. Line the back of the rim with
cardboard and lay a moving blanket on top of the strings.

Now put on your goggles and use the electric drill. Many of the wire
remnants will come out with the pin, some will break off and stay. It's all
good either way.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272