Customer Satisfaction

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Fri Jul 4 14:36:47 MDT 2008

All right, I'll jump....  I am very far from being an expert on
scaling, but I have this to offer:   I agree it could well be a scaling
issue.  With details on speaking lengths and string diameters, this
could be determined.   I would suspect the % of breaking strength is
very low in that area, coupled with high inharmonicity.

If so,  there may indeed be something one could do to improve the
situation.   Changing to Pure Sound wire has shown to be successful in
improving those types of scaling problems.  Pure Sound wire has a
tensile strength of about 10% lower than common piano wire.
Restringing the lowest plain wire unisons with this wire will
significantly raise the % of breaking strength and lower inharmonicity.
  The result is a tonal improvement.

If the client is not satisfied with the "masking" of the problem
through voicing, restringing that area is worth a try.  Not much to
lose, a lot to gain, and 100% reversible.....

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440
info at pianofortesupply.com