It is time for everybody to take a "Time Out"

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Fri Jul 4 09:51:03 MDT 2008

To all:

I have been following the various threads between and about Alicia and a
number of other list contributors with increasing dismay.  I think we have
long since passed the point where the continued discussion is of value to
anyone.  So why continue?

I have been observing some writers speak of Alicia as if she were not there,
and as if she were a person of no feelings.  Whether or not you care for her
presentation style is entirely beside the point.  The remarks are snippy and
insensitive, and likely hurtful.   Possibly they will continue to generate a
response from her that you so wish to change, so how can they benefit
anyone?

It is interesting that quite a number of you seem to have offered to become
a self appointed "parent" to Alicia.  Tell me, what 19 year old wants to
listen to a parent?  If you don't know the answer to that question, ask your
own!

Alicia, I have no advice to give you - particularly since you certainly
suffer from no lack of it at the moment!

I would like to make some remarks in general, and directed to anyone who
cares to read them.

I regard this list as a unique community which I attach a great deal of
value to.  It is an extraordinary technical resource, where the best minds
of our field are generous enough to freely share what they know, and respond
at length to queries.  How many other places can we find that?  I have
learned an incredible amount that continues to make me a better technician.

Also, it has given me the opportunity to correspond with a number of very
good technicians and rebuilders, both on this list and privately, to my
continued benefit.  And it has given me the opportunity to get to know some
of these people on a first name and friendly personal basis.  What a joy - I
have gotten to know some fantastic human beings, and surely that is a
blessing.

It is my observation as I have traveled through this life that just about
every human being wants to be treated with respect, no matter how humble
their position, or how youthful and inexperienced they may be.  That's a
pretty easy thing to do - just treat everybody with courtesy and respect.
It certainly is the grease that makes the wheel of life turn more easily.

And there is the adage that "If you want respect, then give respect".  Be
humble around others, particularly those who know more than you.  (That
means I get to be humble a lot)

Practice "Beginner's Mind" as much as you can, which will allow you to see
things with a fresh eye, and possibly in new ways.

I think we learn the most when we leave our egos at the door.  Defend your
ideas, but not your ego.  This place is an Arena of Ideas, so put them out
there and let them rise or fall on their own merits.  If another's point of
view prevails because their ideas are better conceived and executed, be
humble and graciously yield the day to them.  And LEARN from them.  If we
are not here and willing to learn, why are we here?

This forum is a precious thing that needs to be protected at all times with
our best behavior.

Respectful to all,

Will Truitt