need some opinions

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 4 07:51:35 MDT 2008

I have been a tuner for a large church in town, the other tuner having
retired.  I learned that actually was not quite the case. I have been
sharing the tunings with another tuner in the city.  The church's
pianist indicated some time ago she wished me to come with her and tell
her why she "hated the Steinway"......  Well, it was tuned to 440, while
the pipe organ was about 13 cents flat..................  So having
fixed the disparity (not tuning the pipe organ, to be sure), the
Steinway seemed quite more agreeable.

For a major recent concert the piano was tuned by the other tuner.  I
was called this week to "bring the piano up to pitch" because a major
concert venue was to use it this weekend.  Here is what I found.  The
variance was from +17 cents, to -23 cents, most of the top octave being
20 or more cents flat, and the low-to mid sections being mostly 6-to-ten
cents sharp.  My typical tunings of that piano will vary as much as
seven cents over three-four months in a worship room seating nearly
1000, and in which the heating/air conditioning is on/off, on/off,
depending on whether the room is being used.

I informed the pianist that I could not share such tunings with another
tuner because it would ultimately affect the piano, and could affect the
reputations of two tuners.   I would appreciate some opinions as to the
veracity (or not) of my statements.  If you would "reply all", then your
myself.  Thanks
les bartlett
houston