Tuning Source Book/Test: hints #2 & #18

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 13:41:48 MDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 2:25 PM, David Ilvedson <ilvey at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> One other thing...don't have your A3-A4 octave too stretched for the
> test...keep it just wide of pure...A3 slightly flat

If I recall, the Tuning Source book instructs to have the A3-A4 octave no
more than 1/2 bps wide.  This is a tad more than a 4:2 octave, but not quite
as much as a 6:3 octave.  There are tests listed in the book for these
octaves.  One of the most helpful for me (for this octave) is the contiguous
4th-5th.  I.e., A3-D4 and D4-A4.  When those beat the same, it is a 4:2
octave.  (Another test for the 4:2 is equally beating M3 and M10 ... i.e.,
F3-A3 and F3-A4.)

--
JF