Tuning Source Book/Test: hints #2 & #18

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 3 11:58:29 MDT 2008

Julia-

Re #2, "not being used to it" is a significant problem when you're under test pressures.

To subscribe, follow the mailing list links in the members' area of ptg.org.

In Anaheim we made a video of Jim Coleman demonstrating a two octave ladder of contiguous major thirds. It will be edited and posted soon.

Ed Sutton

KeyKat88 at aol.com wrote:

    Greetings,

            In hint #2 it claims that you dont want to tune a piano with it muted to single string for the first time in an exam room. What is so unnerving/bad about that, aside from just not being used to it?

            In hint #18 it says that you should learn to hear 4:5 ratios on contiguous M3's by counting 1 2 3 4 and compare to 1 2 3 4 5.  How does one go about hearing beat rates while doing/counting this? Is the Source Book implying that the contiguous M3 from A2 to C#3 is 4BPS and the next M3 from C#3 to F3 is 5BPS?  If the beat rate in higher pairs of M3's are more than 4 or 5 BPS, say 6 or more than do you have to do the math to arrive what the contiguous M3 above it should beat like?

      Also, has a tuner ever passed this exam without the skill of knowing how to handle/count the 4:5 ratio? Not that I am not willing to learn it but, that will take time and I have concentrated since inception of tuning on 5ths, 4ths, 3rds, 6ths, octaves and other tests.

    thanks in advance,
    Julia
    Reading, PA