Tuning Source Book/Test: hints #2 & #18

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Thu Jul 3 10:15:38 MDT 2008

Julia,

The way this 4:5 ratio method of comparing contiguous M3s works is that
you listen to the speed of the lower M3. Start marking every fourth beat
by beating on the stretcher or wherever. Then continue that steady beat
with your hand and start counting up to 5 within that same time frame.
The next higher contiguous M3 should beat similarly. No math need be done.

In practice, you learn to detect this 25% increase in beat speed without
doing the counting routine.

I have no idea what is meant by #2.

Regards,
Tom Cole