perfect pitch defined

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Wed Jul 2 11:31:01 MDT 2008

In a message dated 7/2/2008 6:40:19 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
cousins_gerry at msn.com writes:

....I  always wondered which standard a person was referring to when
describing their  perfect pitch. Pre 1920’s  A-435? Post 1920’s A-440? New a-442?
443, 445?  European? Eastern? Other?
Right on the mark,  Gerry. My Music Theory prof in college (even some 40
years ago) would not  let us use the term "perfect pitch." She herself used "pitch
recognition"  (the ability to name a note with any degree of accuracy) which
is in turn  based on "pitch memory" (the ability to remember and reproduce
pitches with  some degree of accuracy, and which, incidentally, she had in
spades).

She thus nicely  skirted arguments about the word "perfect," since there are
all degrees of pitch  memory, some better than others. "Pitch recognition" is
based on the ability to  remember artificially-named arbitrary bands of
frequencies, like A=440, A=435,  etc., or for that matter,
A=whatever-their-piano-was-tuned-to.

No one is born with an  absolute "A", since there isn't one. Whether one is
born with the ability to  remember pitches, or learns it, I'll leave for others
to answer.

Bob Davis